Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A li'l salsa in my dandiya!




















There is a different rhythm to dandiya this year. Rather than go for the plainol' dandiya setps, the with-it young-sters are indulging in some mix 'n' match. The big thing this year is salsa dandiya. As Hemal, a student,says, "if you have to stand out, you have to put in extra effort. While I have go my clothes form Gujarat, I also wanted my dance steps to be exclusive. That's why Iateended a course in salsa dandiya before Navratri."

Nanda Kundu, director of a dance academy, is surprised by the sudden rush of youngsters honing their dance skills this festive season. “There has been a great response to this new genre of dance. It is a fusion of classical rhythm and contemporary styles,” he says.

The clientele of these dance institutes include corporate along with housewives and youngsters. Sohina Chopra, Employed with a leading consultancy company, says, “Professional salsa instructors are training our employees for a Navratri function being organized by the company in a few days time. More than 60 employees signed up for the week-long workshop.” Actress Kim Sharma is also enamored of this fusion of dance styles. “I am not too much of a dandiya enthusiast but this fusion style fascinates me,” she says.

No comments: