Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I recite the Hanuman Chalisa befor every performance


We remember her as the boyish figure from hit videos such as ‘Yaad Piya Ki Aane Lagi’ and Maine Payal Hai Jhankaai’.

And of course, her voice-sweet and sonorous, mixing child-like innocence with sensuality.

Falguni Pathak- a name synonymous with ‘Dandiya’ as well as Indiapop. Surprisingly though, this honey-voiced artiste never thought that she would make it big in music

“My father gave me a good beating, after my first professional performance at nine. My parents, originally Amdavadis, and settled in Mumbai, were quintessential middle-class folk.They wanted me to become a doctor or an engineer. But,I stuck tro my guns, which is why I am here today.”

Pathak does admit though, her lack of formal training being a big handicap. But her aim to become a singer and entertain people propelled her on. “I am a self-taught artiste. It was very difficult in the beginning. I mainly learnt by listening to others’ performances and trying their techniques on my own vocal chords. “Her being a powerful vocalist and energetic performer is testimony to this statement. Of course, she has learnt a lot since then. “I am trained under Bhavdeep Jaipurwale for sometime and am currently training with Sohini Sharma.”

Ask her about what she is offering this Navratri season, and she says, “Most of it is what you had last year. But there some new Garba number, some new folk songs and some new hit Bollywood ones too in “Dandiya”.

No comments: